For those of you who follow me on Instgram, you may have noticed my post on Thursday about being brilliant; I am brilliant.
I think as Christians, we are sometimes caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the topic of self esteem; we either carry the world view which focuses on “me” and finding betterment and faith in ourselves, and what we have to offer the world; or we sit in the confused category where we don’t know what to think of ourselves because we are stuck with thinking we are sinners deserving of the wrath of God.
I’d like to declare to you all that you ARE brilliant.
- You are beautiful – Psalms 139:14
- You are loved – Jeremiah 31:3
- You are precious – Isaiah 43:4
- You are seated with Jesus in heavenly places – Ephesians 2:6
And there are a whole bunch of things God says about your new identity in him. Your identity used to be that you are sinner, but when you come to Christ, you take on his identity. There is no good in you if Christ is not in you regenerating your heart and conforming your mind to his image. If your life is in submission to the Holy Spirit, and there is clear evidence of that, I have great news for you, Christ chose you, you are bought with the precious blood of Jesus, and guess what? That makes you brilliant because HE is brilliant. Your self esteem must be, and is only biblical if it is solely based on what the Word of God says about you. If I am acting in HIS strength, submitted to HIS will, taking on HIS likeness, and displaying all of that to the world for HIS glory…what does that make me? Brilliant!
This week during my devotion, I read Luke 10:
Luke 10:1, 9 & 11 (ESV)
Jesus Sends Out the Seventy-Two
1) After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to go.
9) Heal the sick in it and say to them, The kingdom of God has come near to you.’
11) Even the dust of your town that clings to our feet we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near.’
A few things excited me about these verses
- Jesus sent the disciples out ahead of him two-by-two to represent him. Wait a minute? Jesus also sent me into all the world to represent him (Matthew 28:19-20). I am a representative of Christ Jesus. *Brilliant*
- He didn’t just send me, he clothed me in power to go…the disciples would not have been able to heal the sick unless they had the power of Christ in them. *Brilliant*
- Verse 9 says “heal the sick and say “the kingdom of God has come to you”. Let’s picture this: I walk into a room and say “the kingdom of God is here” that means I carry the kingdom of God and when I walk in a room, the kingdom of God is there. *Brilliant*
- Even if they don’t accept me, guess what? the kingdom of God has still come to them. *Brilliant*
I read this last week and was so excited. When I got to work that day, I had two experiences that confirmed that I carry the kingdom of God…what is the kingdom of God? Righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost (Romans 14:17)
- Prior to accepting the managerial post where I am now, it was quite a stressful environment in my branch. One lady in particular seemed to be a little more hot tempered, but last week she came up to me and said that since I’ve been in the branch, I’ve had a calming effect on her; Righteousness, peace, and joy
- A customer that I had previously helped came into the branch to thank me and said since I’ve been in this branch, it has been such a wonderful place and if everyone was as helpful as me, the NHS and world would be so much better; Righteousness, peace, and joy
I say all this knowing that it is God in me that allows me to exhibit his fruit and manifest the Kingdom of Heaven here on earth. I have no good outside of God, and in him I am utterly, and totally brilliant.
I hope this post encourages you like it has encouraged me. I hope it helps you feel empowered in Christ to be and do everything he has for you. Stop hiding; walk with your head up high; you are absolutely brilliant, because Christ in you is brilliant!